Safety Terms & Procedures
- Secure & Teach:
- Lockdown: A lockdown takes place if an internal or external threat is identified at a school. All school doors are locked and students are confined to classrooms. No entry into or exit from the school will be allowed until an all clear announcement is made. Students will not be released during a lockdown.
- Shelter In Place: Students take refuge in designated areas to protect them from hazardous materials or severe weather. No entry into or exit from the school will be allowed until an all clear announcement is made. Students will not be released during shelter in place.
- Evacuation: In the event of certain building emergencies, students will be relocated to an evacuation assembly area. Students will be released only to parents/guardians with permission from a district official. This procedure is necessary to account for the whereabouts of all students.
In Case of a School Emergency
Although your first reaction would be to call or rush to your child's school, please follow the tips listed below:
- Monitor the school district's website/Facebook page, listen to the local radio for instructions, and stay close to the phone for an automated call from school officials
- Rely only on official communication from school or public safety officials
- Listen for official information regarding reunification with your child
- Call or rush to your child's school. Your presence could interfere with emergency responders
- Phone your child or school. Staff and students are discouraged from using cell phone communication for safety reasons