Degrees and Certifications:
Dr. Ellen Perconti
April 22, 2020
Goldendale School District Community,
Family/Community Communication Regarding Grading
Thank you again for your patience as we navigate through the changing landscape of physical closure of our schools. Over the past weeks, GSD’s staff have provided food, child care for first responders and health care workers, communication from teachers, lessons designed to engage students, chromebooks for those who need them, and our ongoing care for our students. I appreciate the way our staff has engaged in this work and their willingness to adjust to the rapid changes.
On April 21, 2020 OSPI issued emergency rules to govern grading from March 17- June 19, 2020. In alignment with these rules, GSD will implement the following grading practices:
- Our teachers are identifying essential standards for each grade/content. Your teachers will communicate the essential standards to be taught and learned over the course of the next 8 weeks.
- We will be using the following grading scales:
- Grades K-4 will use 4, 3, 2, Incomplete
- Grades 5-8 (excluding credit bearing classes) will use A, B, C
- Grades 9-12 and 8th grade credit bearing classes, will use A, B, C, Incomplete
- Learning will be different and content will be pared back and adjusted. Feedback to further learning will be provided.
- IEP’s continue to guide the feedback and ways of demonstrating growth for students with disabilities.
- When an incomplete is assigned based on the student’s work not meeting standards, teachers, student, administration and family will meet (virtually).
Our teachers will communicate with you and your student
- The expectation of continued learning
- The focus on essential standards
- The need for two-way communication to ensure feedback on learning
- And, that we know this is different and challenging.
Through all of this, we want to express our appreciation of your support for our schools and for your child’s learning.