For and Against Committees
It is required (RCW 29A.32.280) that the Board appoints a committee for and against the school levy. If you are interested in either committee, please reach out to Ellen Perconti at 509-773-5177 or email@example.com by November 20, 2023. Each person of interest will be presented to the Board to appoint. Each committee shall have no more than 3 members. Once submitted to the Auditor's Office, committee rosters may not be changed.
Superintendent, Dr. Ellen S. Perconti or Business Manager, Dean Schlenker
What is a School Levy?
The voter approved 2020 Levy expires December of 2024 and this levy replaces it. School levies expire after the allotted number of years. We must go back to our voters and ask for a continuation of levy support.
- We are asking for a 4-year replacement levy
- Washington has changed the way local school levies are set. For the levy election of February 13, 2024 the Goldendale School District is asking for $2,729,887. This amount is less than the approved levy in 2018
- The rate per thousand is lower than the school levies in 2015-2018
- Washington does NOT fully fund education. Our local levy funds bridge the gap between what the state provides and what the community expects from their schools
- Senior citizens (61 and older) who have an income less than $40,000 may be exempt from levy taxes. Call the County Assessor at 509-773-3715 for more information.
What Does This Levy Fund?
- Curriculum and Instruction (Teaching)
- Continuation of curriculum adoption, teaching materials, library/media supplies
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math), Robotics & Engineering classes
- K-12 Health Services (nurse support)
- Continuation of counseling services, music, art and physical education (5th-8th)
- Ongoing Staff Development
- Facilities & Grounds
- Utilities and insurance
- Custodial support
- Continuation of facility maintenance programs & equipment improvements to keep school facilities safe and secure
- Upgrade building communication measures to improve safety in and around the schools
- Community Use of Building
- Gyms, classrooms, tennis/pickle ball courts and fields are open before and after school hours for recreation purpose for students, clubs and community organizations
- Sport & Extra-Curricular Activities
- Continuation of after-school activities including athletics, clubs, music, drama and other programs
- Transportation for field trips, extra-curricular activities and sports
- Salaries for coaches and advisors
- Support for school improvement plans in each building
- Maintain technology needed to support curriculum goals
- Student management needs including equipment, software, infrastructure and networking
What Should You Know About Your Schools?
- Our current levy provides approximately 18% of our local operating budget. This means for every dollar spent, eighteen cents are provided by local taxpayers
- Over 66% of Goldendale Grade 10 students scored at or above proficient in English/Language Arts on the sate assessment compared with 51% for the state overall
- Goldendale School District graduation rate is consistently higher than the state of Washington
Replacement Levy 2024 - Quick Facts!
- What will be the impact if this levy fails?
- Without this critical funding, the programs listed above will be severely impacted or eliminated. In addition, since utilities, insurance, and maintenance costs will continue to increase, these costs will be shifted and additional programs will be impacted. Impact may lead to larger class sizes, reduction of staff and reduction of support services.
- Are levies different than bonds?
- Yes. Levy elections differ from bond elections in that funds from the levy are used for maintenance and operation of a school district. The money from the sale of bonds can only be used for capital improvements such as modernization of buildings. We have no bonds at this time.
- Who can vote?
- Registered voters within school district boundaries
- Can I vote on the levy and not declare a party?
- When are ballots mailed?
- Ballots should be mailed out January 26, 2024